Thursday

Stupid Prince


Stupid Prince
Originally uploaded by Beatrice Petty.
Ok,

So, if you even remotely know Petty, you know that I am a huge Anglophile. You may even be aware that I am a Monarchist. (That's right Martin... I'm keeping my eye on you...) But you definitely know that I am an enormous History fanatic/geek/afficionado.

Is it just me or is there something earily reminiscent of Harry's choice of costume at a recent soiree. While I think that the hole affair has likely been blown way out of proportion... I do find it worth bringing up that Harry's Great Uncle Edward... you know, the one who abdicated the throne to marry the american divorcee Wallis Simpson... was a huge supporter of the Nazi's and their policies (so was Joe Kennedy for that matter--the patriarch of america's staunchest democratic family... go figure). Petty did a whole paper on the intimate relationship between Edward and Hitler... Thank goodness that floozy came along or else we might, even now, be goose-stepping our way to work instead of taking the TTC.

And was there NO ONE around that might have suggested that the theme of his costume might, in the slightest way, be offensive to one or two people?

"Hey Harry, dude. Er... You really think that that costume is a good idea? Like, millions of people died at the hands of Nazis. Why don't you wear one of your crowns or something... go as a Prince?"

"No way man, the red band goes with my hair."

Stupid, Stupid Prince

No comments: