T'was what seemed to be the theme of the weekend. Between the four of us, we kind of forgot to buy any vegetables. I like to think that we did this consciously. We knew we were going to be in a Provincial Park where there were going to be lots of trees and bushes and other vegetable-type thingies. We didn't want to offend said vegetable-type thingies by consuming large amounts of their kin. That is my story and I am sticking to it. Anyhoo... Good times. I will not actually name which meal of the day this was, for fear of making myself ill once more. Let's just say that certain things happen in the name of camping and leave it at that... Apologies to any vegetarians out there (sorry Capitaine).
So, yes, a good time was had by all. Getting out of the city was brilliant. I never once thought about work, even though big changes were in store for me this week. I likely would have spent all weekend obsessing over it had I remained in Smogsville. We met a couple of characters, but mostly spent the weekend quietly amongst ourselves. The weather was great and I have just a few little insect bites to show for my weekend of roughing it. And when I say roughing it, I mean that I had to walk at LEAST 20 steps to get the the flushing toilet. How I survived, I do not know.
The goings-ons themselves were very mellow; nothing to really write about here. I'm sure we've all heard the saying "What happens in Bon Echo, stays in Bon Echo"... but I did learn lots from my weekend in the wilds of Ontario, some of which I would like to share with you know if I may.
1) A chipmunk rummaging around the outside at your tent at 4 o'clock in the morning WILL scare the bejesus out of you.
2) If you find a bag of bagels in your campsite when you wake up in the morning, it is NOT a gift from the park wardens. This is especially the case if said bag of bagels has holes in it and half the bagels have been munched on by some sort of critter.
3) Firewood has the intellectual capacity to be insolent.
4) Fireflies are freaking cool!
5) Cooking scrambled eggs without butter in the pan makes for very difficult cleaning afterwards.
6) I like to swim in lakes.
7) I do not like the feeling of bug spray on my skin.
8) Kayaking is the bomb.
9) Birds wake up really, really early.
10) 2 bags of ice is NOT enough for an entire weekend of camping. This in turn led to#s:
11) For best results, keep frozen hamburgers in frozen state. And:
12) Warm Green Apple ciders just do NOT taste the same as cold ones.
13) 2 nights away from home is not a long enough time away for my cat to miss me and be happy to see me, but IS long enough for her to be little Miss Bitchy McAttitude upon my return.
For further information regarding this camping trip, please refer to The Roomie's posting on this matter.