Wednesday

Hey Mama

Just a quick mention of the disaster that was the Blue Jays game last night... they were slaughtered by the Cardinals. The only highlight of the evening was seeing Bruce Willis sitting not 50 feet away from us in one of the boxes. I learned that Bruce Willis is more popular with Blue Jays fans than Ben Affleck is. Actually, Bruce Willis was more popular last night than the Blue Jays themselves were... maybe that'll teach them to play a bit better. Yikes.

So, the party is just 3 sleeps away. Yay... and not so yay. If you would be so kind as to let me take you back in time, I will tell you why.

Cut to:

Last Saturday night, driving along Bloor Street en route to the Danforth with da boyz. One of said boyz was my good friend Timmy... great guy, lots of fun, loves to sing, great voice... his rendition of Edelweiss is to die for. He starts in with Hey Mama by the Black-Eyed Peas. In theory, this is good, because it is a great song. In theory.

In theory, it helps that, if you are going to sing a song, you should know the words. The next 20 minutes went as follows.

Hey Mama....

Mama...

Mama...

La la LA la la la... Hey Mama

Mama...

Mama...

Mama...

Hey Mama...

La la LA la la la...

Mama...

Ok, so you get the picture.

Fast forward to:

Present day. The last few days have been all about coming up with songs for the patio party mix. Apparently I suck at this. Trying to come up with songs that are both "wickedhipcool" AND "reminds me of summer" is just not my bag baby. Some of my suggestions included such past hits as "Everybody Was Kung-Fu Fighting", and "Who Let the Dogs Out". These were immediately dismissed by the roomie. What can I say, I worked at Club Med... when I think "songs that remind me of summer", I think of the fromage we had to listen to in the village. I am that big of a dork... sue me.

So, "wickedhipcool" eh? What songs are out right now that I know and that are not dorky? Hmmm... Let's just say that the last few days have gone something like this.

Bea thinks to herself "Songs, songs, I need some songs..."

Hey Mama...

Mama...

Mama...

Mama...

La la LA la la la... Hey Mama...

Mama...

Mama...

Mama...

Like my friend Timmy, these are the only words I know to this song. Do you know it is like to have had only this going through your head for 4 days? Two words: Bru and Tal.

This morning before leaving for work, the roomie gave a sampling of the compilation she made (ahem... will refrain from bewailing the fact that my song suggestions, even ones I made in all seriousness seem to have been mysteriously omitted from said compilation... cough). The last song I heard before leaving the loft?

Hey Mama...

Mama...

Mama...

Mama...

Mama...

La la LA la la la.

1 comment:

mollyblogger said...

LMAO... they weren't dismissed completely, your suggestions...

I simply didn't put them on that CD because they didn't "fit" with the groove I had already established. It would have been, like, Nine Inch Nails Closer, then your suggestion of Lady Marmalade... which, although it is the same subject matter, it's a shocking contrast in tone.

Haven't you seen High Fidelity? There's a fine art to making a mix.

I'll make another one, full of songs that remind YOU of summer. Promise. It's next on my list. One round of "Hands Up", coming up ;)