Wednesday

Crushing



Interpretation is a funny thing. I learned this yesterday after a discussion with Girl regarding my talk about having "crushes" on certain people... whether it be random men on the bus or my former-PNB or countless numbers of astronomers at the observatory I used to work at, or the vet etc... We debated on what exactly a "crush" entails and I learned, that it can mean different things to different people.

For me, a crush is a small little thing, a passing infatuation if you will, that I have no intention of ever acting upon. Am I going to jump Dr. Doolittle's bones when I see him next? No. If I knew for sure sure what his marital status was (and if he wasn't like 50), would I try and take things to them next level? Again, no. For me, a crush is a way of admiring someone from a far. It usually goes away quite quickly, an "out of sight, out of mind" kind of thing.

However, that is not to say that a crush can never turn into a serious "liking". If the "crush" seemingly becomes mutual and depending on the nature of the crush and both parties are open to more, then a crush can definitely turn into something bigger.

There are also varying degrees of "crushing". Back in university (if Wee is reading this, she can attest), I had HUGE crushes on a few different boys. I would assign them nicknames based on the various clothing they wore. I will never forget "hat guy" or "vest guy" (I was somewhat less creative back then than I am now)... I admired them from afar and I admired them often. These crushes usually ended when I met said "*insert random clothing here* guys". "Vest guy" I remember in particular because we ended up being quite friendly with each other after I finally did get the nerve to talk to him (I'm sure I was in a bar... ah, liquid courage, my old friend). But my "crush" turned from butterflies when I would catch a glimpse of him to "meh" after we did meet. The crush was much, much more exciting.

So, I can admire my random men on the bus every day. I can get excited about hanging with the former-PNB. I can look forward to taking my cat to the vet. I can have all these crushes (and more to be sure) without them being any more than a passing, informal fancy. Can a crush turn into something more substantial? Yes, it can, but then it would no longer be a crush. It would then be a "liking that was until fairly recently a crush" which, with any luck, might turn into "a crush that has long since been a liking, and is on the way to becoming a love interest" etc etc...

You get the picture.

Hello, my name is Beatrice Petty and I am a crushaholic.

7 comments:

wee said...

Haha - vest guy/hat guy/roots man/rd from hell.... there were oh so many! I had just one "true love/crush" back then.... the one we called CAM. He called me twitch - it was a deep connection.

Beatrice Petty said...

lmao... I forgot about my Roots Man... I went out on a date with him. He was an idiot. Further prof that a crush can be more fun than the real thing... hahaha... twitch.

mollyblogger said...

Dude, I crush all the time. It never amounts to anything because that's not the point of a crush. The point of a crush is that it stays in the realm of the intangible, the abstract. That's why they're in a way better than liking someone... because there's no real emotional investment there.

I have several men right now who make my knees buckle but if they asked me to sleep with them... I'd probably recoil in horror. Go figure.

Capitaine said...

I understand! I used to do that a lot too. I wouldn't say I have crushes on people anymore, but there are definitely some people I look forward to seeing (like when you take Oreo to the vet), people who make you feel special when they talk to you.

Courtney said...

I love crushes. They're so much fun. There was this boy in highschool and he was in drama and I adored him. His nickname was Pretty Pretty Princess Dougafina. Because he was just so darn pretty.

highcontrast said...

there's nothing better than when a crush turns into more than a crush. those are the best ones.
btw, the old man in this picture creeps me out....

C-8 said...

Hi, my name's Cate and I'm a crushaholic, too - and it takes pretty much NOTHING for me to develop a crush - my current infatuation is this darling little boy (he's 20) who works at my work (but not in my office) when I see him, I get all giggly and hair-toss-y and lip-gloss-application-y - but I'm over it the second he leaves the building