Wednesday

Nothing much today... just an RRDJ:

Apparently the only thing keeping me sane on the Rock (little one, not the big one. Although that also drives me insane) is that my parent have cable. Not full cable though, just the mini SSI cable--25 channels or so. Anyway, the other day I stumbled upon a dramatization of one of my favorite books--The Buccanners by Edith Wharton. Unfortunately I seemed to have come in at the very end of the series but it very much reminded me how much I love historical books about English society. The Buccanneers is a very excellent book but there are so many others that I count among my favs. Of course, the very best would have to be Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. If you have never read it you should! If you are ignorant and cannot read well......... you probably aren't reading this blog but.......... go rent the mini series done by A&E. It is truly one of the best adaptations of any piece of literature EVER! And of course it doesn't help that Colin Firth plays Mr. Darcy. Yum. Oh, and if you are a fan of Brigette Jones and her diary, definitely read and/or watch P&P as it is based on the same story, just different names and a slightly more modern twist (and Colin Firth pretty much playing the same character...yum). Can't wait for the second one to come out.

Oh, and if you liked Clueless, then you'll like Jane Austen's Emma-- it is basically the same story. Again, if you can't read then check out the movie Emma with Gwynneth Paltrow (and Jeremy Northam...uber Yum). One of my favorite movies. Can't find it on DVD though. If anyone has seen it, please let me know.

That's all for today,
J

No comments: